Ran a little poll while we still have twitter
Heads up inequality peeps. Applications now open for Atlantic Fellows for Social and Economic Equity (AFSEE) programme. Fully-funded fellowship for mid-career policymakers, activists, practitioners, and researchers. Application deadline 12 January 2023.
UK government announcement that aid funding is again open to Oxfam. Next question – should we take it?
If Adam Sharp leaves twitter (or twitter leaves us all), I’ll miss his superb translations of popular sayings:
‘Expressions about being unattractive from around the world
5. Ugly enough to make an onion cry (Spain)
4. As ugly as a salad (Bulgaria)
3. A face that stops clocks (Japan)
2. Uglier than a car seen from below (Colombia)
1. So ugly they’d scare a buzzard off a gut pile (US South)
International phrases about getting annoyed with someone
5. You’re putting a pea up my nose (Finland)
4. You’re pulling me out of my watermelons (Romania)
3. You’re making my mustard rise up (Peru)
2. You’re getting on my cookie (Germany)
1. You’re making me Croatian (Austria)’
When trying to convince people of the value of aid, it’s all about the narrative. ‘“Among all forms of evidence tested, anecdotal evidence performs best”. At least that’s what the quantitative evidence says 😉 ht Ryan Briggs
Great lesson on sentence structure. Ht Nathan Baugh
Reporter v baby elephant. Report gave it his best shot, but elephant wins in the end. Lovely.